Question Submission Form
Inspector III Certification is designed for Inspectors who work independently to perform all ITM duties. An Inspector III certification is reserved for individuals who have a minimum of 8,000 hours of work experience specific to the Inspection, Testing and Maintenance of Water-based Fire Protection Systems and may serve in a supervisory role. Additionally, those testing for Inspector III must have 32 hours of continuing education as a prerequisite to testing.
All chapters of NPFA 25 will be tested, with a focus on Chapter 9 – 12. Because the Inspector III exam will include topics from the Inspector II exam, questions for Inspector III should include higher-order thinking question components when possible. Higher-order thinking questions are questions that require students to apply, analyze, and evaluate information rather than simply recall it. For example, if the question is pertaining to obstruction investigations, the question could include information regarding a test performed, the results and the original acceptance test and the tester would need to identify if an obstruction investigation is required, or next steps, etc.
Tests are currently based on NFPA 25 2017 but will be provided according to the 2020 edition in the near future. Questions can be from 2017 or 2020 editions.
Inspector III Prerequisite to take the exam:
- 8,000 hours of work experience specific to inspections, testing and maintenance or water-based fire protection. Experience must include some exposure to the following:
- 32 hours of continuing education in the past 24 months
Please submit all questions by August 24, 2023
Question Requirements and Recommendations
Please keep in mind the goal of the test and therefore the questions, is not to trick participants, but to test their knowledge.
- Questions must be multiple choice, however questions CAN have more than one correct answer. If you have a question where participants must select multiple items from a list to be correct, just include all the items that MUST be selected for the question in the “Correct Answer” blank. If you don’t have three distracters that is ok. Just leave the other fields blank.
- Questions such as “all of the above” or “none of the above” are not permitted, however, you can include questions that participants may have to select multiple items from a list for it to be correct. Please just include all the correct items in the “Correct” answer blank.
- As a Level III certification question, questions should include a level of higher-order thinking questions which require students to apply, analyze, and evaluate information rather than simply recall it.
- The question should not be negatively stated. For example, questions such as “Which of the following is “not” an example….” would be better phrased “Which of the following “is” an example of….”
- Key concepts should involve situations that would be encountered in a normal job operations. Try to avoid trivial or purposefully tricky concepts unless it is relevant to the Level III job duties.
3 Ways to Submit Questions - Pick What Works For You!
You can submit questions by uploading an attachment, you can use the online form or download a PDF to complete and email questions to [email protected]. The goal is to have all questions submitted by August 24, 2023. Thank you again for your participation in this process.
1. Submit Questions via an Attachment Here:
2. Submit Questions via Online Form Here
3. Download the PDF form to complete and email.
Thank you so much for your willingness to contribute to this process! If you have any questions or need any additional information, please contact Holly Garvey, Director of Certification, at [email protected] or (407) 803-3484.